Celebrate {Mother's Day}

Each year, I send my mother flowers for Mother’s Day.  Yes, flowers are beautiful. Yes, I know she appreciates them.  Yes, I know she knows I love her. Yes, we’re lucky if the flowers last for a week.  So, when our lovely neighbor, Michele, told me that she wanted to throw a Spring Garden Party, and let the kids plant their own flower boxes and herbs, I got super excited!  I love the idea of giving potted plants as gifts because its something that is sustainable and can be enjoyed longer than a week.

Michele loves to garden!  Almost every day, Chuck and I can walk by her house and find Michele sitting outside digging up and rearranging her garden.  Her three-year-old daughter is usually by her side, happily digging along with her (sometimes romping around with Chuck and Lucas.) Over the last couple of years, Michele has become my go-to-guru of all things that bloom.  She’ll walk around my perennial gardens and tell me what everything is, what needs to be divided up, what can be moved, and when to move it.   Michele is happiest when there is dirt under at least one of her fingernails.  

When we arrived at Michele’s house, she had a children’s table set up with recycled clementine crates and metal tins filled with a variety of flats of flowers and herbs.  Hidden under a table, she had buckets filled with dirt and kids garden tools.
I know Michele loves  “The Secret Language of Flowers”, so I designed some labels for the herb pots with the meaning of each of the herbs.  These would be a great (and easy) Mother’s Day gifts!  These labels are designed to be cut out, decorated, and glued onto a craft stick.  This year, when I give my mom a pot of  “Cilantro for love”, I know she’ll be able to use this in her kitchen throughout the summer.  


Herb Garden Plant Markers 
Click to Print


No comments:

Post a Comment