{Surviving Thanksgiving Part I: Setting the Scene}


I was eight months pregnant the first time I hosted Thanksgiving.  We had just moved into our new home, and I was eager to start creating some traditions of my own.  I'm a "celebrator" at heart, so its not like you had to twist my arm to make this all happen. I purchased a set of thematic ceramic desert and serving pieces with coordinating napkins and candlesticks.  I heated a pot with cider and cinnamon sticks, and filled my home with the scent of Thanksgiving.  We all cozied up in my little hundred-year-old house and had a nice relaxing Thanksgiving.  Appetizers were served on my wedding China.  Wine (and non-alcoholic sparkling cider) freely flowed.  I sat back and wondered what Thanksgiving Future was going to look like.  

So, what does Thanksgiving look like now?  Well, I can promise you this:  those newly purchased ceramic desert plates are kept far away from Chuck.  They probably will be for many years.  I invested in some fancy melamine dishwear for my little one last year.  That got me thinking, "what can I do this year to make Thanksgiving go 'smoothly' "? I mean, we all want to have fun, create memories, and relax a little.  Setting aside time for family dinner has always been important to me, so Chuck knows how to sit at the table; however, most of our meals last about 15 minutes on average.  I'm not sure if Chuck is going to be able to "hold it together" through an entire Thanksgiving meal. 
First, and foremost, know that things will not be perfect.  Keep repeating this to yourself. "This will not be perfect" "This will not be perfect". Make it your mantra for the month or so.  "This will not be perfect", but that's OK.  Because, what it is, is realistic.  That is so much better than perfect. 

Second of all, set realistic expectations. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE me a good Pinterest as much as any one else.  But, sometimes, it gets my expectations a little out of whack with reality (see above).  Not every occasion needs to be celebrated with a thematic zany food-art, embroidered dishtowels, or a countdown calendar.  Growing up, our most coveted Thanksgiving heirloom was this ceramic turkey that holds the cranberry sauce.  Valuable? No.  Priceless? Yes!  That's the thing.  You don't know exactly what your family is going to hold on to and sew into the fabric of their memories.  I'm pretty sure my mom never envisioned that ceramic turkey being the thing us kids got excited about seeing every November. 

Let's talk about "expectations". My goal is to see if I can get Chuck to "survive" 30 minutes at the Thanksgiving Table.  Unlike the adults, she is going to need more than food and beverage to entertain her.  So, with that, this is my first Thanksgiving suggestion: Embrace the Idea of a Kids Table.  And by "Kids Table", I mean "The Table".  I want my family all sitting around the same table, so why not use some toddler approved tricks to entertain all your guests!  

About a year ago, Amazon accidentally sent me 50 lbs of rolled Kraft paper instead of the 10lbs that I ordered.  This is perhaps the best mistake that has ever happened to me.  I have used this paper to cover tables for various celebrations in the past year.  It's absolutely perfect! When I was trying to think of ways to entertain Chuck, I instantly thought of that roll of Kraft paper and some crayons.  I mean, it works beautifully in diners across the tri-state area, why not in my house?  Kraft paper can have a rustic elegance to it that I think it absolutely perfect for Holiday celebrations.

I use elements of whimsy and surprise whenever I need to entertain Chuck for long periods of time (waiting for the pediatrician, car rides, waiting for dinner, waiting for dada, waiting for  . . . just about anything you can think of).  Toddler Truth: they like to touch and explore things with their senses!  So set the scene appropriately:give them something at the table to touch and fiddle with!  Give them something new to look at!  Make your table whimsical, and you may just be able to pull off 30 minutes of a relaxing Thanksgiving celebration!  

So, with this in mind, here are a few of our favorite Kids Table ideas!  
1. I love these Martha Stewart Corn Husk Dolls!  Chuck is really into dolls right now, so I'm pretty sure that these would entertain her for a little bit! 
2. These little owl treat bags would be a great way to keep little hands busy.  My daughter loves filling containers with odds and ends.
3. Covering the table in Kraft paper is a must!  This way no one has to worry about spilling the gravy on grandma's heirloom tablecloth. 
4. Invest  in some festive melamine dishware.  Not only is it more colorful and entertaining than my "adult plates", but I don't have to worry about it breaking. 
5. Last year, my niece and I made this "fruit turkey".  It was a perfect activity to keep us busy while the adults were getting the turkey cooking. 
6. I love the idea of a "please-touch-me" centerpiece.  Gourds come in so many interesting textures, shapes, and colors, that this could be a win/win situation.




Photo Credits 
1. Martha Stewart
2. World Market 
3. Country Living 
4.  World Market 
5. LuCk    
6.  Good Housekeeping


Follow our Little Celebrations board on Pinterest to see more ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment