LuCk on the Run {Westport Winter Farmer's Market}

This winter, Chuck and I have been frequenting the Westport Winter Farmer's Market at Gilberties Herb Garden in Westport; it is part of our Saturday morning ritual. This market has been my (not-so) secret getaway this Winter.  It is housed in Gilberties spacious greenhouse where it is always a comfortable 75ยบ. It has been an oasis for Chuck and I, where the samples flow freely. Depending on my mood, I can either get a green juice from The Stand or a Cold Roman espresso drink from RAUS Coffee Company.

The great thing about the Market being in a greenhouse, is Chuck really can't stray that far from me.  The bad thing is, sometimes I let my guard down and Chuck treats herself to cookies and apples (oops!).  Sadly, toddler smiles aren't worth their weight in gold.
Each week, I give Chuck her own market tote and let her wander around. Yes, I partially do it because it is 100% adorable to watch her toddle around the greenhouse, going from vendor to vendor.  I also do it because she loves picking out her own apples from the Woodland Farm stand.  Her sample apple is always handed to her with a smile.  Chuck has tried so many new foods at the market (and so has mom!) Corn chips and bread are still her favorite, but she has tried many different kinds of cheese, fruits, and veggies. I learned that she is a fan of hard cheeses, not so much soft ones.  She likes empanadas, and quinoa salad, not so much ravioli (seriously, what kind of kid doesn't like ravioli?)



Although the idea of eating seasonally has always appealed to me, I've always found winter to be a bit of a challenge in Connecticut. (Hey, Chuck loves blueberries after her dinner.  Who am I to deny her indulging in this super food?)  The Winter Farmer's Market offers a nice assortment of seasonal fruits and veggies.  Chuck picked out her own sweet potato this week, which we roasted along with a chicken for Sunday supper.   Last week we made beef stew with carrots and potatoes that we picked out at the market.
Because it is winter, the market carries a ton of other options other than fruits and veggies.  They have a great selection of meats, fresh pastas, canned goods, bread and fish.  Oh, and, baked goods.  So. Many. Baked. Goods. Chuck and mom may have developed a slight monkey bread addiction this winter (it's locally sourced and organic, that's basically like health food, right?)

We have loved our Saturday's at the Westport Winter Farmer's Market!   It has literally been a breath of fresh air this winter!  The Market is as kid friendly as you can get, plus the snack food is abundant.  They even have farm stickers for the kids!  What more can you ask for? 

The market runs Saturdays November 16-March 15th at Gilbertie's, 7 Sylvan Lane, Westport. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment